Cultural shocks and language


I didn’t have a cultural shock in Finland, the only thing I was not used to, that we must start the conversation even it was your tutor from the work. The Finnish people are very shy or not talk-active, so you have to start every time the conversation and sometimes you don’t get a question back. In my culture it would be rude if you ask something and nothing is coming back. Otherwise I didn’t have cultural shocks, because the Finnish people where always friendly and if you go to them and talk with them after many times there are as well talk-active.

The Finnish language is a mystery for me, because when you hear some people talking you can’t understand it, because it is totally different to all the language we are used to. So, the beginning was hard, after some Finnish lesson I understood in a conversation some words but not everything. I spoke with a teacher from America, who is living in Turku now for 12 years and he said to me, that he can speak in Finnish but sometimes I don’t know a word and if he try to write something even the first grades kids have to correct him, because it is so difficult.
If I have a lot of time I will practice my Finnish more, because the sound of the language is beautiful, but even you can’t speak any words you can always speak in English with them, because everyone can speak English as I know

Kommentare